- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
‘Pay up or be penalised’ warns HMRC
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
HER MAJESTY’S Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is urging British tax residents with second or holiday homes to settle their tax and capital gains bills by the September 6 payment deadline to avoid being fined.
Declarations of capital gains were due by August 9 as part of the tax authority’s Property Sales Campaign. It was targeting those selling homes in the UK or overseas where tax should be paid on profits made.
Those that have sold homes and not made the necessary payment face investigation and could be fined and charged interest on outstanding bills should they fail to meet the payment deadline. Non-payers could be subject to fines of up to 100% of the outstanding amount
Marian Wilson, head of HMRC Campaigns, said: “It is better to come to us before we come to you. After September 6 HMRC will use information it holds about property sales in the UK and abroad to identify people who have not paid what they owe. Penalties – or prosecution – could follow.”
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]