THE EU has voted to exclude Gibraltar from draft EU aviation legislation.
MEPs have voted to exclude the Rock from the Single European Sky legislation, which is designed to harmonise air traffic control around Europe.
As a result, Gibraltar will have no say in safety and regulation measures designed to make Europe’s airlines more competitive, share airspace and reduce pollution.
It might also mean that there could be complications for flights coming in to Gibraltar if they need to liaise with Sevilla’s air traffic control.
The vote is the latest in a series of moves by Spanish Prime Minister Rajoy’s Partido Popular government to annul the Trilateral Forum.
The Cordoba agreement of 2006 included Gibraltar in the EU’s ‘Single Sky’ programme.
The first draught will now be debated by the new European Parliament which is due to be elected in May.
A spokesperson for the British Government said that it was disappointed by the vote and described the position as ‘inconsistent’ with EU treaties that state that Gibraltar is part of the EU.
It is also contradictory of recent legislation on Air Passenger Rights, where the European Parliament amended the legislation so it applied to Gibraltar.
“The UK cannot accept a return to the pre-2006 practice of suspending Gibraltar Airport from EU aviation measures,” the UK spokesperson said.
The Gibraltar Government underlined the inconsistencies. “Gibraltar will be excluded from the Air Passenger Rights legislation by the Commission, but then included by the Parliament,” said a spokesman.
“The whole situation that Spain has created for the EU makes no sense whatsoever.”
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40