GIBRALTAR lost 4-0 to the Republic of Ireland in Friday’s Group D qualifier for Euro 2016 in Portugal.
Robbie Keane bagged a second-half brace, with debutant Cyrus Christie and Shane Long also on target for Ireland, who move up to third in the group.
The Irish captain took his international tally to 67 when he scored his second from the spot following a foul by Liam Walker on Wes Hoolahan.
A Walker long-range effort was the closest Jeff Wood’s men came to troubling Irish goalkeeper Shay Given as the home side remain without a point in the group.
Jordan Perez kept Ireland at bay in the opening skirmishes, pushing a Jeff Hendrick set piece wide before saving a Jon Walters effort.
But the Gibraltar ‘keeper was helpless to prevent the impressive Christie guiding home Ireland’s first into the far corner after 27 minutes.
Keane tapped in his first shortly after the break and slotted in a penalty in the 51st minute to leave him one goal behind German legend Gerd Muller’s international haul.
A Gibraltar team packed with Lincoln Red Imps’ players were rocked again ten minutes before the end when Shane Long scored a fine header to the delight of the 3,000 travelling Irish fans.
Gibralta’s next qualifier is in Poland on Monday night.
- Spain’s Andalucia among top 20 global travel destinations for Airbnb customers - 15 Dec, 2018 @ 13:00
- Costa del Sol financial firm set to become listed on Nasdaq stock exchange - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:35
- Where to eat in the Guadalhorce Valley - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 17:24
- Get lost in the white towns of Guadalhorce - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 16:21
- There’s a new mango vodka liqueur made 100% in Malaga and it looks DELICIOUS - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 17:51
- Dead body found floating in Malaga dam - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 14:51
- How to find high-quality translation services by CPSL - 5 Dec, 2018 @ 16:24
- World Class Accommodation for Rent in Madrid - 5 Dec, 2018 @ 16:21
- Ibiza Yacht Rental - 5 Dec, 2018 @ 16:17
- CUT AND BLOW-DRY CASE? Popular Low Cost hairdressers accused of defrauding taxpayer of millions in Spain’s Andalucia - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 18:01