HE may be the world’s most expensive footballer, but it appears Gareth Bale’s millions can’t help his girlfriend’s father dodge jail.
Martin Rhys-Jones, father of Bale’s long-term partner Emma, has been denied bail in his impending American fraud trial.
He stands accused of running a ‘boiler room’ scam in New York which pulled in almost €5 million from mostly British victims.
His lawyers have been unsuccessful in their bid to get him released on €200,000 bail, due to fears he would flee from justice, potentially aided by the Real Madrid star’s money.
Rhys-Jones has a history of skipping bail, having fled to Spain after being arrested by police in London three years ago.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44