ONE of Spain’s most beloved tapas dishes has made a surprise appearance on the world’s ‘superfoods’ list.
Morcilla, or black pudding, is being lauded for its nutritional value and has been included on a list of superfoods by British nutritionist MuscleFood.
The humble sausage, principally made from pigs’ blood, joins the likes of avocado oil, seaweed and black beans on the exclusive list.
Loaded with protein, potassium, calcium and magnesium, as well as being practically carb free, morcilla is expected to fly off the shelves in 2016.
It is also rich in iron and zinc – two minerals frequently missing from modern diets.
MuscleFood spokesman Darren Beale said: “2015 saw healthy eating reach a new level and this year we predict this trend is only going to get bigger.
“Some of the foods have been on the up for a while like avocado oil and maca root, but others like mushrooms and black pudding have been a total surprise to us.
“It’s great to have this new research available to find out the hidden qualities in food and we can’t wait to see how these new trends take off.”
Morcilla madness: Three top tips
Morcilla with potatoes and paprika
Boil potatoes before frying on moderate heat with thick slices of morcilla. Serve with generous sprinkling of paprika.
Simmer vegetable stock with potatoes, carrot, peppers, garlic, oregano and cumin for 20 minutes. Fry morcilla chunks and fold into the bean stew. Garnish with pepper.
Morcilla and chicken
Roast cuts of chicken with peppers, onions and hunks of morcilla splashed in olive oil. Serve with Rosemary and a glass of red wine.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36