AN international criminal gang has stolen millions of pounds in an unprecedented cyber-attack on Tesco Bank.
Spanish and Brazilian fraudsters hit more than 25% of the UK bank’s current account holders in the attack.
They gained access to 40,000 of the bank’s 136,000 current accounts and stole money from 20,000 of them.
Customers found that their accounts had lost anything between €30 and €3,300.
Tesco was forced to freeze all online transactions yesterday after what was the biggest ever raid on a British bank.
A police investigation has revealed that Tesco Bank had been repeatedly warned about its lacklustre security systems and that fraud rings in Brazil have been targeting the chain for months.
The level and sophistication of the attack has led experts to fear a criminal network or even a foreign government may be responsible.
The National Crime Agency, Financial Conduct Authority and Information Commissioner’s Office are investigating the attack.
The bank apologised to its customers yesterday after they accused it of treating them with ‘complete contempt’ and making ‘pathetic’ offers of €30 compensation.
CEO of Tesco Bank Benny Higgins said: “We can reassure customers that any financial loss as a result of this activity will be resolved fully by Tesco Bank.”
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03