FELANITX is a small market town in the southeast corner of Mallorca just 45 minutes by car from Palma, and lying just 15 minutes inland from its closest sea port of Portocolom.
It is set in beautiful countryside with both the Sanctuary Sant Salvador and Castle Santueri perched on hillsides looking down above the town and out to sea.
The name Felanitx is derived from the Latin ‘Fenalicius’ which refers to haymaking, and the town had strategic importance in ancient times due to its far-reaching views from the hill sides.
With evidence of it being a sacred place of worship since pre-historic times thanks to Bronze Age remains tracing back to 2200 BC, it was also one of the old Moorish strongholds of the island with the current fortress walls at the Castle Santueri dating back to 903 AD.
As its name implies, it offers fertile lands.
In 1749 over 60 distilleries were recorded in the region, and today it is the second largest wine producing area in Mallorca, with Pla & Llevent producing both white and red award winning wines. The town is also known for its capers which are sold at its Sunday market and throughout Mallorca.
There are also many shops, restaurants and bars to choose from locally. Further afield there is the 18-hole Vall dÓr golf course situated just 15 minutes drive away, and the yacht club of Portocolom a little further on.
There are some beautiful beaches close by, again only 15 – 20 minutes drive including Cala Varques and Cala Sa Nau.
Hot Property of the week
Beautiful Felanitx Finca with delightful views of the countryside and distant sea views towards Cabrera.
Stone-faced finca set in 24000 m² of land offering the peaceful tranquility of the countryside yet less than 5 minutes to the town of Felanitx. Offering a light-filled and spacious living space of 440 m² with country kitchen and beamed ceilings.
There are three large bedrooms en suite in the main house and 1 in the guest accommodations with potential to amplify property. Underfloor heating, satellite, landscaped gardens with orchard, pool and covered bbq outdoor dining area, and easy walking distance to the town and San Salvador. Good rental with licence. Price: €2,350,000
Contact Amanda J Butler – +34690075169, www.mjcassociates.net. Your professional one-stop property shop around the Island!
- Summer heat and an Ibiza-style property are the hot topics with Amanda Butler - 8 Jul, 2018 @ 12:16
- MARCH INTO SPRING: Wealthy buyers are still flocking to Mallorca, writes Amanda Butler - 13 Mar, 2018 @ 09:49
- Number One! Why Mallorca really is the best place to live in the world writes Amanda Butler - 23 Jan, 2018 @ 11:45
- Olive Press property expert Amanda Bulter brings in the New Year - 12 Jan, 2018 @ 12:00
- Finding the great escape, writes Amanda Butler - 27 Dec, 2017 @ 17:40
- ‘Tis the season for reflection, writes property expert Amanda Butler - 14 Dec, 2017 @ 15:43
- Artà is largely unaffected by mass tourism and could be perfect for tranquil home, writes Amanda Butler - 27 Oct, 2017 @ 15:27
- As Mallorca summer crowds fade, property expert Amanda Butler looks ahead to 2018 - 13 Oct, 2017 @ 13:33
- Pottery, vineyards and cotton weaving – Santa Maria is steeped in Mallorca tradition - 29 Sep, 2017 @ 14:11
- The ‘prettiest village in Spain’ is a perfect spot for a Mallorca home - 25 Sep, 2017 @ 16:40