A LEADING Mallorca businessman has told the Olive Press how he paid a €30,000 fine this month after inspectors turned up unannounced at one of his rural rental properties.
The expat, who has asked not to be named, paid a 50% reduced penalty within the ‘two-week discount period’ after originally being fined €60,000.
He revealed he was visited by the state inspector after expecting to rent his €3,000-a-week property – via Airbnb – to a family of four from Madrid in August.
He was caught as he only has one licence for three adjacent units and, according to the new law, he needs three – one per unit.
“He turned up and the first thing he asked for was my licence number,” he told the Olive Press.
“I told him I had only one for three rentals and I was fined €30,000 per unit.
“He had booked through Airbnb so there was nothing I could do – I lost a whole week’s money.”
He added: “It’s really unfair as the law came in so fast and it’s clear they are after the expats who have money.
“Where I live there are loads of local Spanish who didn’t get touched.
“Another expat I know got caught last week via Airbnb whereas his six neighbours, who also rent via Airbnb, but didn’t get caught.”
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00