BARCELONA has beaten Madrid to be crowned Spain’s ‘most liveable’ city, as a list of the world’s top 50 is released.
The five criteria used to calculate each city’s score were stability, education, culture and environment, health and infrastructure.
Both Spanish cities had identical scores for the first three categories, but Barcelona edged ahead with better health and infrastructure rankings than Madrid.
London only made it to number 48 (89.1%) on the list, as Spain’s most liveable urban areas also placed higher than Ireland’s best city, Dublin, which finished 41 (90.7%).
Manchester is the most liveable British city at number 35, ahead of Madrid, with a habitability score of 91.3%.
Australia, Canada and Japan dominate the top 10, but the number one spot goes to Vienna, Austria, which received a near-perfect score of 99.1%.
- British teen makes history in Spain’s Andalucia by being first girl to finish under par in prestigious tournament - 16 Dec, 2018 @ 17:00
- Marbella mansion where One Direction made debut among top 10 most viewed properties this year - 16 Dec, 2018 @ 13:00
- WATCH: ‘Narco terrorists’ BOMB Marbella carwash and are then arrested in Sweden - 14 Dec, 2018 @ 14:17
- ORANGE ALERT: Balearics and Andalucia on standby for strong winds and rain tomorrow while snow predicted across Spain - 13 Dec, 2018 @ 15:15
- Body found in hunt for missing British tourist Nixon Smith who was mugged in Spain before missing flight home - 13 Dec, 2018 @ 11:34
- Specsavers and Plastic Free Seas charity join forces on Costa del Sol for mammoth beach clean up - 13 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: Round-up of Costa del Sol’s best Christmas lights in 2018 - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:13
- BREXIT: British applications for Spanish citizenship soar 232% as Theresa May faces no-confidence vote - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:21
- Police free pregnant teen sold by parents for €8,000 to Romanian family in Spain’s Andalucia - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:50
- Kinahan mafia member who plunged to death from Marbella hotel balcony ‘took his own life’, police say - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 16:40