In 2015 just 50 British people registered Spanish citizenship applications, but in the first 10 months of 2018 that number had soared to 166.
The 232% surge in applications by British nationals over three years was revealed by Spain’s General Department for Registries and Notaries.
Britain is fourth in the EU for Spanish citizenship applications after Romanians, Italians and Bulgarians.
Meanwhile Moroccans placed 10,067 applications from January to October this year, as Venezuelans put in 2,001, reported El Pais.
After the 1922 Committee received the 48 letters required to trigger a no-confidence vote, May said that should she lose, a new PM would have to delay Brexit.
So far 100 MPs have publicly said they will back May’s leadership, while at least 48 would vote against her.
The required number of votes to oust May is 158, but any number upward of 100 would put the UK leader on shaky ground.
Speaking outside Downing Street this morning, May said: “I will contest that [no-confidence] vote with everything I have got.”
Boris Johnson is the favourite among MPs as a would-be replacement for May, while Home Secretary Sajid Javid, Dominic Raab, Esther McVey, David Davis and Jacob Rees-Mogg are among the other frontrunners.
- DOUBLE TROUBLE: Ronaldo gets 23-month jail sentence and €18.8m fine for tax evasion in Spain as Alonso maintains innocence - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 12:34
- DON’T JUDGE: ‘Fake lawyer’ on Costa del Sol arrested after she charged clients €2000 a minute - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- IS IT A BIRD? Gibraltar introduces helicopter sightseeing tours in 2019 with Norwegian firm Fonnafly - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:37
- Spain and UK sign landmark deal mutually protecting voting rights after Brexit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 15:36
- RED FLAG: British expat bar owner in southern Spain faces huge fine for refusing to take down Union Jack - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 13:56
- WATCH: Police SMASH one of Europe’s largest cocaine labs run from luxury Costa del Sol villa - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:41
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HUGE drill scrambled from Madrid motorway to save little Julen trapped in well in Spain for over 100 hours - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- Death toll rises to 12 in Spain’s Canary islands as flu outbreak reaches EPIDEMIC levels - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:29
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56