THE government has granted neighbours powers to limit the expansion of tourist renters in their building.
Following the success of rental platforms like Airbnb, the Ministry of Development has used a Royal Decree to curb tourist rental effects on local communities.
In a bid to put Spanish citizens first, the government has reduced the required majority to ban new tourist flats from being built in an area.
Previously, a unanimous decision was required from residents, but under the new reforms, groups of residents will only need a majority of three fifths.
This will make it easy for communities to limit or apply conditions to tourist rentals in their areas.
It will therefore be far easier for residents groups to bump up the price for tourists renting in their area, as well establishing special quotas.
Spanish Minister José Luis Ábalos backed ‘more people who use the common areas paying more’.
This Royal Decree of Urgent Measures has also been employed to change Urban Leasing Law so that it no longer covers tourist properties, which instead will be regulated at a regional level.
The new measures ‘help the autonomous communities to mitigate the difficulties of control of housing of tourist use and gives more capacity to the communities of owners’, according to Reyes Maroto, Minister of Industry, Trade and Tourism.
- DOUBLE TROUBLE: Ronaldo gets 23-month jail sentence and €18.8m fine for tax evasion in Spain as Alonso maintains innocence - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 12:34
- DON’T JUDGE: ‘Fake lawyer’ on Costa del Sol arrested after she charged clients €2000 a minute - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- IS IT A BIRD? Gibraltar introduces helicopter sightseeing tours in 2019 with Norwegian firm Fonnafly - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:37
- Spain and UK sign landmark deal mutually protecting voting rights after Brexit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 15:36
- RED FLAG: British expat bar owner in southern Spain faces huge fine for refusing to take down Union Jack - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 13:56
- WATCH: Police SMASH one of Europe’s largest cocaine labs run from luxury Costa del Sol villa - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:41
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HUGE drill scrambled from Madrid motorway to save little Julen trapped in well in Spain for over 100 hours - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- Death toll rises to 12 in Spain’s Canary islands as flu outbreak reaches EPIDEMIC levels - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:29
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56