THE wettest autumn since 1990 has refilled Spain’s reservoirs to more than 50 per cent of their total capacity.
More than 235 litres per square metre or rain fell on the country between September and December to leave reservoirs at their fullest at this time of year since 1996.
Average water levels now stand at 54.7 per cent – 11 per cent more than the same time last year.
Before the official start of autumn on September 21, Spanish reservoirs were at, on average, 38 per cent of their capacity.
However, reservoir levels in the Segura and Júcar river basins in the eastern part of the country are still perilously low (at 11 per cent and 13 per cent respectively).
Reservoirs in the Guadalquivir basin, which serves Bermejales and Iznajar in the Granada province, stand at 38 per cent of their capacity.
Jaime Palop, a water spokesman at the Ministry of the Environment, said there are huge differences between the Mediterranean and the Atlantic basins, in which some reservoirs are close to overflowing.
“The volume of flow of the Tajo River, which flows into the Atlantic Ocean at Lisbon, is greater than 3,000 metres per second. The Taibilla River, which supplies reservoirs in Murcia and Alicante, is receiving 6 per cent less water than last year,” he said.
In spite of the record rainfall, Señor Palop warned the drought has yet to finish. “The worse is yet to come. There is little water in the left bank of the Ebro River. There is little snow in the Pyrenees. In Júcar, it is raining more than the usual but the reservoirs are still low,” he added.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00