THE youth crime wave which saw two underage girls gang raped last month has led to urgent calls for juvenile law changes.
Following the attacks that horrified Spain (see Olive Press issue 63) PP opposition leader Mariano Rajoy has demanded that minors should be charged with serious crimes, including rape. He has vowed to pursue the changes to prosecute children under 14 in September.
Meanwhile Spain´s attorney-general, Candido Conde-Pumpido, called for “maximum force against these worrying incidents” to halt the recent spate of crimes.
But, he added: “We must not just focus on solving these attacks judicially, but on educating youngsters.”
“Opposition leader Mariano Rajoy has demanded that minors should be charged with serious crimes, including rape.”
However, ombudsman Jose Chamizo refused to back any law changes.
Despite urging in-depth investigations, he claimed that prosecuting minors would not solve the causes of such crimes.
The news comes as Spain was rocked by further crimes, including a 14-year-old arrested for sexual assault on a minor and five other youths being sent to a detention centre for a brutal murder in Barcelona.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48