AS if the Costa del Sol didn’t already have enough environmental damage, more is on the way.
The report in particular highlights the area between Cabopino and Calaburra – one of the last few remaining unspoilt stretches – as a key area of concern.
“Particularly worrying are plans to dredge a 135 hectare area of the area’s seafloor in an attempt to regenerate the beach.”
Fears continue over the desire to expand current urbanisations and the ongoing problems of pollution in the protected area, known as an LIC.
They are also concerned about Mijas town halls’ plans to install a marina in the La Cala area, as well as a desalination plant.
Also particularly worrying are plans to dredge a 135 hectare area of the area’s seafloor in an attempt to regenerate the beach.
The local authorities have already been ticked off by the EU for this practice, which destroys numerous habitats and species of vegetation
This is despite the area being described as “the richest sea in Europe”, due to its confluence of the Atlantic and Mediterranean waters, which creates a great mix of species of interest to scientists.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58