A WORD of warning to all Olive Press readers…today, Tuesday 13 is considered to be as unlucky in Spain as the dreaded Friday 13.
This however, has not stopped Spanish Prime Minister Zapatero using today to meet US president Barack Obama.
The Spanish leader is scheduled to spend a number of days in the US this week.
Historians suggest the superstition may date back to the 13th century when a now-forgotten Spanish king and army were crushed by the Moors on a Tuesday.
The custom may also originate from the fact that Martes – the Spanish name for Tuesday – is derived from Mars, the Roman god of war, whose legend is steeped in death.
So today more than ever, stay away from any black cats or precariously-balanced ladders!
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00