THE SPANISH equivalent of the RSPCA has backed pleas to save one of the last dune areas on the Costa del Sol.
SEO birdlife has demanded that Marbella council stop the destruction at Barronal, which is damaging the environment and wildlife in the area.
The dunes, which are adjacent to Alicate beach, are one of the few natural sites on the coast that have not yet been destroyed by overdevelopment.
In the place of the dunes, a new housing development, consisting of 150 houses, will be built.
Two thirds of the 75,000 metres squared of land designated for the development has already been cleared of weeds.
President of the residents association in las Chapas, Maribel Guerrero, said: “It should have been done manually, not with machines to limit the environmental damage.”
The zone surrounding the dunes has always been abundant in small migratory birds as well as insects and reptiles.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00