A BRITISH diver has discovered a giant illegal fishing net pinned to the sea floor just 250 metres from the shoreline.
Michael Longman, 22, a professional diving instructor, found the net while diving off La Herradura, on the Costa Tropical, near Nerja.
He said: “I was shocked to discover this vast fishing net hundreds of metres in length. The water was only around eight metres in depth and it stretched from the floor to the surface.
“We started to pass the halfway mark on our tanks, and still hadn’t reached the end of the net, it seemed endless.”
“There were many large lightning fish caught in the net and, while many were dead, some were alive, which we managed to free.”
Most alarmingly they could not ascertain exactly how long the net was.
“We started to pass the halfway mark on our tanks, and still hadn’t reached the end of the net, it seemed endless,” said Longman.
As well as being hazardous to the marine life in the area, the nets also pose a danger to swimmers and divers.
While Longman reported the net to the local Guardia Civil they insisted that because the nets were quickly removed they could not investigate further.
This was despite Longman having photographs of a buoy attached to the nets.
When the Olive Press contacted the Guardia Civil it explained that, while there are laws in place to prevent the practice, they could not comment on this particular case.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27