By Murri Little in Rute
IT is the equivalent of Lapland to Spaniards around Andalucia.
People travel for miles around to witness the work of the artisans at the three chocolate factories in Rute, Cordoba.
Buses filled with eager sweet-toothed children and adults arrive on the hour to stock up on all the seasonal delights, particularly marzipan, chocolate and nougat.
The town, famous for its anis liquors, pulls out all the stops at Christmas for the tourists.
There is a carnival feeling in the town, which has a banner claiming to have “the largest chocolate sculpture in the world”.
It is certainly very impressive with Flor de Rute factory having created a scale version of the St Peters Basilica in Rome, to go alongside a Disney castle and other sculptures.
At Galleros factory it has taken a team of men months – not to mention 1400 kilos of chocolate – to make the model of medieval times, as well as various members of the royal family.
A great day out for all the family, particularly at the weekend, there are plenty of craft and food stalls, the best selling the fantastic tortas de higos (figs) with anis.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00