IT is an awe-inspiring sight.
To celebrate the feast day of the patron saint of animals, highly-skilled Spanish horse riders jump through flaming bonfires in a death-defying spectacle.
As villagers look on in amazement, horsemen and their equally-courageous mounts embark on the heated leaps of faith.
Every year, the villagers of San Bartolome de Pinares, west of Madrid, are treated to the show – in honour of St Anthony Abad.
Before the sparks fly, the horses are blessed by a priest as part of the holy 500-year-old tradition that is believed to purify and protect the animals.
Egyptian-born Abad has been recognised as the patron saint of domesticated animals since the Middle Ages.
Let’s hope he continues to protect these brave horses.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27