HUNDREDS of British travellers were arrested in Spain for drug offences last year.
Some 207 were detained, according to UK Foreign Office figures.
Spain was the top destination for British drug arrests, followed by the US, with 141, and Thailand and France, both claiming 79.
“The message is clear – we can’t get people out of jail in other countries,” explained Europe minister Chris Bryant.
“So if you don’t want to waste your life away in a tough foreign jail, be sensible and keep clean.”
A recent survey suggested one in five Britons think diplomatic staff can get them out of prison.
Furthermore, a number believe they can be automatically transferred to a domestic jail.
It is estimated that 40 per cent of all Europe’s black market cocaine comes through Spain.
Bryant added: “Britons should know the risks of taking drugs abroad – and they should also be extremely wary of being sucked into the drugs trade.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00