A LOST ski instructor was miraculously saved after he used his camera flash to guide the Sierra Nevada’s mountain rescue service to him.
After getting disoriented descending the Barranco San Juan valley the Spaniard soon became engulfed in heavy snow and minus 10 degree temperatures.
With hope fading fast, the Granada man, 23, was incredibly saved when rescuers spotted his camera flash reflecting out at night.
“When people face a life or death situation, they will resort to using or doing whatever it takes to help save them.”
The search had already been called off at 9pm, two hours before it was resumed on identifying the light.
“When people face a life or death situation, they will resort to using or doing whatever it takes to help save them,” said Santos Arias, mountain rescue officer.
“Temperatures were plummeting and there was a huge amount of snow, it was a miracle.”
Despite being a Sierra Nevada ski instructor, he was not familiar with this particular slope and lost his bearings.
He had been missing for three hours, before being plucked out of the mountain obscurity.
Arias added: “Before you ski look at a map of the ski slope and the various pistes to ensure you don’t get lost.”
“Also if you’re heading off alone, take a mobile phone and torch with you.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00