IT took more than 20 years for a development plan to be legally approved.
But some 1500 Marbella residents still face the wrecking ball after being left out of the town’s PGOU.
Despite thousands of homes now being officially legalised, many others were not included in the much-anticipated plans.
Notably, the Banana Beach complex – home to some 300 Spanish and expatriate homeowners – is still in line to be pulled down.
And resident John Toomey has vowed to fight on after branding the latest decision a “huge injustice” as well as “discrimination”.
The retired lawyer, 63, explained: “Our case is identical to a number of properties which have now been legalised.
“They want to reclaim the seafront, but there is no basis for this in law or reality.”
“A top Spanish architect (Angel Dias del Rio) put forward a case in Sevilla to show we were being discriminated against.
“But it was simply swept under the carpet by the Junta.”
Toomey, from London, also criticised the folly of trying to make an example of Banana Beach.
“They want to reclaim the seafront, but there is no basis for this in law or reality,” he added.
“If they really wanted to do this then they would have to demolish half of Marbella.”
On agreeing the new PGOU last week Marbella mayor Angeles Munoz previously declared that “16,000 families will now sleep in peace”.
Spare a thought for those Marbella homes still fighting for their own reconciliation.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00