TRADITION trumped the law as Jaen townsfolk kept up their annual turkey tossing custom in Cazalilla.
Despite animal protection protests and laws, the bird was still thrown off a 35-foot high church roof in celebration of Dia de San Blas.
Good fortune is believed to come to the one who catches the turkey – this year the bird landed safely in the arms of 21-year-old Manuel Jesus Robles.
He would set his lucky catch free on his land and help it reach “a ripe old age”.
Robles promised he would set his lucky catch free on his land and help it reach “a ripe old age”.
Plain-clothed Guardia Civil stood in the crowd and kept a birds-eye view on events.
Last year’s turkey tosser was fined 2,001 euros.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00