TWO months of almost continual rain has seen Andalucia suffer its wettest winter ever.
The weather pattern, not seen for 13 years, has caused over a billion euros of damage from floods.
The two months of December and January were already the fourth rainest on record.
But when coupled with February it is the wettest period of all time.
Some of the worst flooding was seen in Jerez, which was cut off due to bad weather when its main motorway, airport and train station shut.
In Alhaurin de la Torre floods caused dozens of homes to be evacuated, while a total of 26 horses were killed in nearby fields (see story right).
On the coast pupils were evacuated from two schools in Manilva and Marbella due to landslides, while a wall collapsed in San Pedro.
Entrance roads to the A7 were cut off by floods, while in Estepona several rivers burst their banks leading to flooding of the marina.
The good news though is that the aquifers have been refilled and all seven of Malaga’s reservoirs were overflowing.
Cadiz received its annual rainfall in less than two months and the province has enough water to last for at least three years with reservoirs at least 85 per cent full.
The freak weather is scheduled to finally come to an end this weekend.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00