ANDALUCIA celebrates 30 years of being an autonomous region today.
It is now enjoying a day of regional holiday as Andalucians bask in the long-awaited sunshine that is engulfing much of the area.
The landmark date was honoured in fine style with an awards ceremony held in the Maestranza Theatre in Sevilla.
Malaga singer Pasion Vega and flamenco diva Jose Merce were awarded the Andalucia Medal at the prestigious occasion.
Speaking at the event Junta president Jose Antonio Grinan vowed to focus the government’s efforts on overcoming the recession and creating employment.
He added that officials should concentrate on creating a more sustainable economy that would stand up to future shocks better.
Others medal winners were Andalucía high court president, Augusto Méndez de Lugo, philosopher Gregorio Salvador and sculptor Miguel Fuentes del Olmo.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48