A SPANISH starlet sprung a huge surprise by dumping US Open champion Kim Clijsters out of the Andalucia Open.
World number 258 Garcia Vidagany, 21, shocked the Belgium to reach the third round in Marbella.
After winning the first set, the Spaniard’s dream victory looked to be over when Clijsters rallied to claim the second set.
“Marbella has been really great though. It’s beautiful here and everyone working here was so nice.”
But underdog Vidagany wrapped up her stunning victory by breaking the former world number one three times in the final set to complete a 7-5 4-6 6-4 win.
Vidagany is playing in the main draw of a WTA event for the first time after having come through the qualifying stages.
Despite crashing out of Andalucia’s showpiece tennis tournament, number three seed, Clijsters, 26, heaped praise on Marbella.
“Marbella has been really great though. It’s beautiful here and everyone working here was so nice. You really want to do well here – it’s a shame I lost today.”
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00