WORLD Cup favourites Spain suffered a shock defeat in their opening match to under dogs Switzerland.
The disjointed European Champions were stunned when former Manchester City midfielder Gelson Fernandes bundled in a scappy effort midway through the second half.
The Furia Roja huffed and puffed but were unable to find a way through a resolute Swiss defence.
Real Madrid holding midfielder Xabi Alonso came agonisingly close to equalising for the highly-fancied Spaniards when his 25-yard drive crashed against the bar.
And despite the introduction of fit-again frontman Fernando Torres with 20 minutes to spare, it was Ottmar Hitzfeld’s well-drilled outfit that look likeliest to score.
With Spain throwing men forward in search of a leveller, Swiss forward Eren Derdiyok almost put the game beyond doubt when he struck the foot of the post after a mazy run.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58