A DAVID Villa double got Spain’s World Cup Campaign back on track against Honduras in South Africa.
The Barcelona front man opened the scoring midway through the first half after he capped a mazy run with a stunning finish into the top corner.
Just after the break Villa gratefully received Xavi’s cut back to fire a deflected effort beyond the despairing dive of keeper Noel Valladares.
After the opening match disappointment of losing to Switzerland, the Furia Roja came out firing from the first minute.
It was a return to the free-flowing, one-touch football that had critics drooling two years ago when the Spaniards were crowned European Champions.
And the margin of victory could have been far greater had Vicente Del Bosque’s men been more clinical in front of goal.
Hero Villa struck the crossbar with a long-distance thunderbolt and also watched in horror as his hat-trick penalty missed the target altogether.
Fellow hitman Fernando Torres was guilty of a number of misses while second-half substitute Cesc Fabregas saw his effort cleared off the line.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58