By Wendy Williams
SPANISH police have arrested one of Britain’s most wanted men on suspicion of murder.
Discovered in the up-market resort of Puerto Banus in Marbella, James Tomkins, 61, was arrested after a four-year manhunt by officers working on behalf of the Metropolitan police.
In a bid to escape, the fugitive jumped out of a window but was pursued by air support and caught by officers on the ground.
He is wanted in connection with a fatal drive-by shooting in Hornchurch, Essex, in 2006 in which Rocky Dawson, 24, was shot dead outside his parents’ home as he was putting his two children into his car.
Tomkins – who disappeared after the murder – is suspected of being at the wheel of a stolen Land Rover used during the crime and of helping to destroy evidence.
Contract killer Christopher Pearman, of Waltham Abbey, was jailed for life in 2007 after pleading guilty to the murder.
But officers have been unable to find the motive behind the killing.
They had wanted to question Tomkins in relation to murder and had offered a reward of £20,000 for information that would lead to his capture.
Tomkins is now due in court in Madrid on Friday for extradition proceedings.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00