By Nicola Cowell
WHEN his band split up in the 80s, he never expected to be playing to sell-out crowds 20 years on.
But Marcus Myers, whose group Hard Rain had a hit in Spain in the 90s, has been touring the country playing at top venues.
Myers, who is most famous for his time as guitarist with girl group Alisha’s Attic, moved to Cortes de la Frontera ten years ago and earns his living performing on the local bar and club circuit with covers band Equis.
Playing gigs at El Gecko in Cortes de la Frontera and Bar Allioli in Jimera de Libar, Myers is popular in the Guadiaro valley but thought his days of global fame were well and truly over.
But then he got a call from a man who turned out to be Hard Rain’s biggest fan.
“We didn’t even know, but we’d had a hit in Spain in the 90s with a song called Diamonds and it turns out one of our biggest fans is a DJ in Barcelona invited me and Bruce Maxwell-Smith to play at his club,” Myers explained.
“It was a truly surreal experience playing a song we had recorded 20 years previously to an audience of 7000 people who all knew the words!”
After their soaring success, the band were chosen to headline the Delta Sound Festival in Amposta near Barcelona.
And Myers, who has also toured with Belinda Carlisle and Jerico, is now recording a new album in Granada with band-mate Bruce.
Diamonds, by Hard Rain will be out later this year.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27