By Andrew Pearce
POLICE have been called in to investigate a too-good-to-be-true internet sales swindle.
Posing as a UK clothing firm, T & T Textiles and Hoisery offered 400 euros a week for just two hours work.
But the company, based in Manchester, has been left mystified at the adverts placed in a string of Spain’s English-language newspapers.
“I am going straight to the police about this,” explained director Tariq Hafeez.
“I have never advertised this. It is not on.”
The scam relies on victims transferring 90 per cent of the value of a bogus cheque received from so-called clients to the fraudsters.
While the bank transfer takes place immediately, the cheque will bounce over a week later leaving the unsuspecting accomplices out of pocket.
Fortunately a trio of Olive Press readers got in touch about the company.
Web expert Arthur Webster, 64, from Coin, became suspicious after seeing the advert in a number of papers, including the Olive Press.
“These sorts of scams have been going on for years so I contacted T & T in the UK and they immediately put a disclaimer on their website,” said Webster, originally from Grimsby.
“It has been a successful ploy as they always use the names of real, respected companies.”
“They win over people’s trust and, before they know it, they are thousands of euros down and owing the bank a lot of money.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00