By Wendy Williams
WITH the sun high in the sky people the world over are striving for that elusive all over tan.
But, there is bad news for the exhibitionists among you.
A recent study has revealed that the perfect tan could be a myth as some parts of the body tan at a slower rate than others and will never reach the same tone.
And, according to the research published in the journal Experimental Dermatology, the body part slowest to catch the sun is your rear.
The study also confirmed what many sun-worshippers have found out from experience, that the legs and inside of the arms are also slower to react to the rays than either the shoulders or the outer arm.
According to professor of dermatology Jonathan Rees, who led the study: “The research shows that instead of one skin type, in fact each of us has lots of different skin regions, each of which responds differently to UV light and so take longer than others to go red and then tan.”
These findings show that most advice about how long it is safe to spend in the sun is useless, as different body parts are more sensitive to the sun than others.
A recent Spanish study also revealed that, contrary to popular belief, umbrellas do not provide sufficient sun protection.
According to Nursing Times, even in the shade a third of cancer-causing UV rays still reach the skin.
They found that although the umbrella absorbed the majority of the sun’s direct UV radiation – with only five per cent passing through – 34 per cent of the rays reflected off the surface and still reached the area beneath.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00