FRAUDSTERS have used a vicar’s email to try and hoodwink all his flock.
Reverend Peter Wolfenden, from Malaga’s historic Saint George’s church, found himself the victim of a scam that used his identity to ask for money from his friends.
In an email sent to all the contacts in his address book, the thieves – using his alias – requested 2000 euros to be transferred via Western Union.
In the hijacked missive he tells them he has had an accident in the UK and needs the money to pay the hospital bills.
The email read: “I’m so distraught… I need help paying the hospital and hotel bills… I will appreciate any amount you can afford.”
The holyman told the Olive Press that he believed his email had been scammed after using an internet cafe while he was in London last month.
Being a vicar he is always one to forgive, saying: “The good thing is the number of folks who have been in touch – not just parishioners but people from my previous existence as well.
“A heart-warming reunion over the wires!”
He added: “The gospel for Sunday is the parable of the Lost Sheep!”
A number of other local businessmen have also fallen victim to similar scams recently.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00