HUNDREDS of Britons are facing the demolition of their homes after thousands of licences were deemed illegal in Cuevas del Almanzora.
According to town hall sources, the licences, which were granted for homes built in 2003 under the so-called ‘Consolidated Urban Land’ project, have now been declared null and void.
It comes following the leak of confidential documents that show that the town hall, led by the PP party at the time, was not authorised to consolidate urban land.
Officials had, in fact, been ordered by the courts to stop building, but decided to ignore the ruling.
The future of the homes – up to half of which are owned by expatriates – now hangs in the balance.
Opposition PSOE councillor Miguel Fernandez told the Olive Press: “What will the citizens who acted in good faith think when they now find that their homes are not legal?”
There may however be a glimmer of hope for at least some of the homes affected.
Fernandez added: “We expect the Junta to approve an amendment to the PGOU town plan which means many of them will be legalised by the backdoor.”
Mayor Jesus Caicedo has yet to speak publicly on the matter.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00