PENSIONERS Helen and Len Prior, who saw their dream home demolished nearly three years ago, have faced another setback in their ongoing fight for justice.
Following a retrial of the case ordered by the Supreme Court in April last year, the Administrative Courts have
upheld the original decision made by the Junta de Andalucia calling for the demolition of their Vera home.
The Priors bought the land in 2002 and, after securing all necessary permits and permissions via the town hall, built their house in 2003.
But in May 2006 they received notification from the regional government that the permissions had been awarded illegally and their 400,000 euros house could be demolished.
They sought legal help but in January 2008 the bulldozers arrived and the house was pulled down, making international news.
Last year, after spending two years living in what was formerly the garage of their demolished property, they were offered temporary housing by Vera council.
But now the Priors’ will have to seek compensation for the loss of their home from Vera council who incorrectly issued the planning consent, and that could take years.
It’s a bad omen for the eight homeowners in Albox who face similar proceedings after falling foul of Spanish regional planning laws.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00