PENSIONERS Helen and Len Prior, who saw their dream home demolished nearly three years ago, have faced another setback in their ongoing fight for justice.
Following a retrial of the case ordered by the Supreme Court in April last year, the Administrative Courts have
upheld the original decision made by the Junta de Andalucia calling for the demolition of their Vera home.
The Priors bought the land in 2002 and, after securing all necessary permits and permissions via the town hall, built their house in 2003.
But in May 2006 they received notification from the regional government that the permissions had been awarded illegally and their 400,000 euros house could be demolished.
They sought legal help but in January 2008 the bulldozers arrived and the house was pulled down, making international news.
Last year, after spending two years living in what was formerly the garage of their demolished property, they were offered temporary housing by Vera council.
But now the Priors’ will have to seek compensation for the loss of their home from Vera council who incorrectly issued the planning consent, and that could take years.
It’s a bad omen for the eight homeowners in Albox who face similar proceedings after falling foul of Spanish regional planning laws.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00