AN animal charity has gathered a team of eager volunteers to run the first Malaga marathon.
MAPS, the Malaga Animal Protection Society, has taken 50 places at the December 6 event and is looking to fill the few slots still available.
But armchair sport aficionados should not be put off. There is the option to sign up for an eight-mile stretch as opposed to the full 26-mile slog.
The charity, which has RSPCA approval, is run by a group of ex-British army businessmen, and is raising funds to set up a centralised animal sanctuary in the region that will work with all the other animal charities already in existence.
They have earmarked a 250,000-euro plot of land near Torremolinos where abandoned cats, dogs and other pets will go, to be looked after or re-housed. But they still have ‘a long way to go’ on fundraising, according to a spokesman.
It is hoped that fielding a team for the marathon will spark interest and backing from within the Spanish community.
“Their attitudes about animal cruelty are changing and we don’t want MAPS to be exclusively ex-pat. One day we’d like to cover Spain, not just Malaga” the spokesman said
Other MAPS fundraisers in the offing are a regional football competition, involving all 800 schools, who will battle it out to win the Andalucian Cup.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00