AN animal charity has gathered a team of eager volunteers to run the first Malaga marathon.
MAPS, the Malaga Animal Protection Society, has taken 50 places at the December 6 event and is looking to fill the few slots still available.
But armchair sport aficionados should not be put off. There is the option to sign up for an eight-mile stretch as opposed to the full 26-mile slog.
The charity, which has RSPCA approval, is run by a group of ex-British army businessmen, and is raising funds to set up a centralised animal sanctuary in the region that will work with all the other animal charities already in existence.
They have earmarked a 250,000-euro plot of land near Torremolinos where abandoned cats, dogs and other pets will go, to be looked after or re-housed. But they still have ‘a long way to go’ on fundraising, according to a spokesman.
It is hoped that fielding a team for the marathon will spark interest and backing from within the Spanish community.
“Their attitudes about animal cruelty are changing and we don’t want MAPS to be exclusively ex-pat. One day we’d like to cover Spain, not just Malaga” the spokesman said
Other MAPS fundraisers in the offing are a regional football competition, involving all 800 schools, who will battle it out to win the Andalucian Cup.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00