HOLLYWOOD actor Martin Sheen has been getting in touch with his Spanish roots.
The West Wing star, 70, has been in Galicia with his son Emilio Estevez to promote a new film on the famous pilgrims’ route, The Way of St James.
Sheen told a press conference he was delighted to be returning ‘home’ to Galicia from where his father heralds.
The father and son team are hoping the film The Way will inspire people to visit the region.
Estevez even described the film as ‘a love letter addressed to Spain’.
In it, Sheen plays an American widower who travels to Spain to recover the body of his dead son (Estevez) before embarking on a voyage of self discovery along the Camino de Santiago.
“The Camino, besides being a physical journey, is a spiritual journey as well and the central theme of the film is that we all need community, we all need each other but we walk alone,” Sheen said.
“I’ve grown up all my life hearing about Santiago and the pilgrimage, so the film is a culmination and a deeply satisfying dream come true.”
The actor, who was born Ramon Estevez to a Spanish father and Irish mother, has also been retracing his Irish heritage while filming ‘Stella Days’ in his mother’s home village of Borrisokane, in Tipperary.
“It’s an extraordinary circle of events, to have the opportunity to work in Spain and Ireland, two of my favourite countries,” he said.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00