WHAT on earth is motivating all the fuss about the proposed new hotel and golf course at El Palmar beach?
Arguments for and against the project made the front page of a recent issue of this august journal and even The Sunday Telegraph in NSGB ran half a page covering the story.
In a nutshell, it seems that a handful of rope-sandaled environmentalists want to stop the building of a perfectly legitimate, modestly sized leisure facility on the grounds that it might disturb a bit of sand.
However, as far as I can tell, nothing much else has happened on this stretch of coast since Nelson defeated the combined Spanish and French armadas two hundred and five years ago.
The entire region was blighted by the installation of thousands, of wind turbines
There is an architecturally nondescript lighthouse a few kilometres south of El Palmar at Cabo de Trafalgar which, on the day that I visited, wasn’t working.
This monstrosity can be seen from 20 kilometres away but I don’t recall any objections to planning consent when it was constructed in 1860!
And where were the sandalistas when the entire region to the south of El Palmar was blighted by the installation of hundreds, maybe thousands, of infernal wind turbines?
Such is their density that you couldn’t drive a golf ball more than fifty metres without hitting one.
I am aware of the excellent Montenmedio golf complex at Vejer but the site at El Palmar is just the thing for the creation of a much needed links course in the region.
All that sand would be perfect for the bunkers.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00