THE flamenco world is in mourning after one of the genre’s key stars died after a routine operation went wrong.
Enrique Morente, 67, was left brain dead following complications after surgery for throat cancer.
The father of fellow flamenco icon Estrella Morente fell into a coma last Friday after suffering a brain haemorrhage.
He died in the Clínica de la Luz in Madrid on Monday surrounded by his family.
His daughter Estrella told the press: “I knew my father was important, but not so much.”
The family have now called in lawyers to investigate how the relatively straightforward operation could have gone so badly wrong.
Incredibly, police were also called to his home in Granada following a robbery.
The heartless thieves stole a number of items, including his car, which has now been recovered.
Morente had been working on a new album entitled ‘El barbero de Picasso’ (Picasso’s barber), which is a tribute to the Malaga born artist.
It is scheduled for release in the coming weeks.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00