A BRITISH couple found guilty of illegally building on non-buildable land have been given an eight month prison sentence and ordered to demolish their home.
Expats David and Janet H. who live in Torrox, Málaga were granted a licence to restore a 24 square metre property but instead built one ten times the size.
Now a judge in Málaga has found them guilty of a crime against town ordination.
And in addition Torrox Town Hall has issued a fine of 73,000 euros.
The pair bought the land in September 2000 and applied for a works licence in July the following year.
They were granted permission to rebuild the small ruins of a building that already existed.
However the court revealed: “The accused built a detached chalet type property, with a new floor, basement, swimming pool, and put tarmac on the exterior perimeter, to an area of about 240 square metres.”
Moreover, it is reported the couple ignored an order by Torrox Town Hall in January 2004 to stop all construction on the land.
As a result, they were handed a fine of 73,092 euros in September 2006, and the Town Hall opened an order to demolish the house.
When sentencing the couple, the Magistrate ruled the property cannot be made legal and he considerd the demolition to be ‘proportionate’.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46