By Wendy Williams
AN Irishman wanted for the murder of expat Dan Smith is facing 18 years behind bars.
Eric ‘Lucky’ Wilson, 26, allegedly shot Smith eight times at point blank range outside the Lounge Bar, in Riviera in June 2010.
The incident happened after Smith, 24, stepped in to defend his friend Georgia who had been groped by Wilson.
A fight broke out and Wilson allgedly left the bar, returning 30 minutes later with a gun.
He was arrested at his farm in Coin, less than 48 hours after the attack.
A search of the house found explosives, grenades and fake passports.
Now, the prosecutor in the case has called for an 18-year prison sentence for Wilson in addition to over 45,000 euros compensation.
But the victim’s mother Karen Wetherell, who is bringing a separate private prosecution, considers the sentence insufficient.
She wants it to be increased to 25 years with 300,000 euros in compensation on account of the cruelty involved.
Her lawyer Carlos Comitre said: “Although no money can compensate a mother for the loss of her son, it should be kept in mind that this was not an accident but an intentional killing with malice.”
Wetherell told the Olive Press last year: “Dan didn’t deserve to die like that. Certainly not defending a girl.”
The case will be tried by a jury in Malaga, but the date has not yet been set.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46