EXCLUSIVE by Amie Keeley
HE arrived at the hotel pleading with an old friend who worked there that he needed just one night’s accomodation after finding his apartment roof had fallen in.
But, after eight nights living it up at the five-star Gran Hotel Guadalpin Banus, British expat Alwyn Funke disappeared without paying a penny.
Now, the hotel on the so-called Golden Mile has sent out an appeal, via the Olive Press, to find him.
“We would definitely like to find him,” said hotel manager Victor Villar, confirming that the bill was over 1,500 euros. “The contact numbers and email he gave us do not work and we have no way of locating him.
“I understand he is a well known character here, and used to run a landscaping business so someone should know where he is.”
Funke, who checked into the hotel on March 6, had moved to Spain, the Olive Press can reveal, after being banned as a company director in the UK for 12 years in 1998.
He had been struck off after the gardening company he had inherited from his father, The Flower House Group, continued to trade despite being put into receivership in 1991.
By the time it was struck off, it had 10 insolvent companies with deficiencies totalling nearly two million euros.
The High Court heard how he and his partner Alexe Meddings had misappropriated funds, had misused bank accounts and had inadequate accounting records.
Funke had checked into the hotel after a former gardening colleague had agreed to lend him his credit card number to guarantee the booking.
He told him he had just returned from the UK and had gone to his home in Elviria to find the roof falling in.
Not having any money or credit cards he promised to pay in cash the next day on check out.
But Funke stayed a further seven nights where he was seen enjoying himself and ordering food and drink in the hotel’s restaurants and bars until he left last week.
The Olive Press was unable to contact him as we went to press.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00