A GROUP of British homeowners fighting to have their homes legalized are suing the Junta’s Minister for Public Works for discrimination.
They are calling for Josefina Cruz to resign after she made offensive comments in Parliament.
Referring to the problems of expats who own illegal homes in Almeria, the minister said: “They are a group of people who are not of this country – who have settled here illegally in our territory.”
She continued: “The affected residents – whether they are in an organisation or not, whether they bought in good faith, or not, – are now demanding that we resolve a problem that they are responsible for creating.”
Backed by resident association AUAN (Abusos Urbanisticos Almanzora – No), the 12 homeowners have now lodged a criminal complaint with Andalucia’s High Court of Justice.
According to the group – who all have illegal homes in Almanzora – her address on March 9 is a crime under article 510.2 of the Penal Code.
President of AUAN, Maura Hillen, referred to the speech as “seriously offensive to many people of another country”.
She added: “These people are victims of the chaotic planning system in Andalucia, which has clearly failed and continues to fail.
“They invested all of their life savings in a house in Spain, having being assured that they had all legal permits, only to find that they risk losing their home.
“These comments were not issued by just anybody, but by a member of the regional government. In fact, the person charged with resolving the urban planning mess in that region.”
She concluded: “This is playing with too many peoples lives. We have to draw a line somewhere. If I was the Minister, I would resign”.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02