By Caroline Peal
FORMER UN chief Kofi Annan has slammed Costa del Sol planners who have allowed the coastline to become overdeveloped.
Speaking to a packed conference hall in Marbella, Annan said planners should have been more careful.
“Before rolling out a tourism strategy, one has to make sure that the development is sustainable from the point of view of infrastructure and services offered to the tourist.
“But, most of all, it has to be sustainable for the local community – the people who live in the area. One has to avoid the temptation to over exploit facilities.”
Mr Annan, secretary general of the UN between 1997 and 2006 was speaking as guest of honour at the third Global Congress on wine and climate change.
For more on the findings from the conference, plus lots of other info about living green in Andalucia, don’t miss the Olive Press’ annual Green Guide magazine about all things eco, which comes free with the newspaper in June.
Now in its fourth year, the guide will be bigger and better than ever, covering everything from ethical fashion to eating with the seasons; greener motoring to ‘Grand Designs’ style eco homes; plus advice on renewable energy choices and water saving gadgets that will help slash your household bills.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46