A MAN who killed his best friend in a motorbike accident has had his sentence cut after a plea for mercy from the victim’s mother.
Jonathan Lombard, 28, has had a year cut off a three year prison stretch, after the mother of Nacho Rodriguez, 16, insisted he get a more lenient sentence.
Lombard, 28, who was described by the mother as ‘a soul mate and more than a brother to Nacho’ pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.
The Supreme Court heard how he was full of remorse for the death of his friend, who suffered fatal head injuries as a result of the accident in 2008.
In sentencing Chief Justice Anthony Dudley explained: “I certainly do not ignore the wishes expressed by the mother of the deceased”.
“Hers is an exemplary approach of forgiveness and I cannot but admire the dignity with which she deals with the loss of her son.”
However he added: “Lombard engaged in deliberate, prolonged, dangerous and aggressive driving without regard for the safety of others, not just the victim but also that of other road users.”
And the court heard how he had overtaken vehicles at speed before pulling wheelies which led him to lose control of the bike.
Lombard has also been disqualified from driving for five years.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46