POLICE on both sides of the border have been cracking down on drug smuggling in and out of Gibraltar.
In a recent bust HM Customs and the Royal Gibraltar Police seized a car stashed full of cannabis resin worth £3.9million.
The Spanish registered Seat Leon – loaded with 26 bales of drugs weighing 800 kilos –was discovered in an underground car park in Harbour Views after officers used sniffer dogs to conduct a search of the area.
Inside the car police also found a vest with the name of a Spanish private security firm and a wallet containing a Guardia civil ID badge.
A local man has been arrested and released on bail but the investigation is ongoing to discover how a shipment of this size arrived in Gibraltar.
Meanwhile, on the other side of the border the Guardia Civil has arrested 26 members of a Sevilla gang that handled stolen goods and contraband cigarettes from the Rock.
The gang was caught distributing cigarettes smuggled into Spain.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46