On the evening of Saturday 11th June, various rugby clubs from the province of Malaga including Axarquia, Malaga, Benalmadena and Marbella, amongst others, joined in the 1st annual “Playa Rugby” tournament on the beach at Rincon de la Victoria.
Featuring over 150 players and 18 teams of the seniors, women’s and the U17’s Colts teams, each club entered a number of five-a-side teams to compete for the title in 12 minute matches of fast, quick ball handling and exhilarating rugby.
A large crowd of locals, tourists and rugby fans watched the tournament, many bewildered by the laws of the game and the ferocity of the tackling and rucking!
The Red Cross were on hand in case of any injury, but everything went smoothly without incident.
Played, as always, with great sportsmanship, the 20 teams enjoyed six hours of continuous rugby and it was an evening of fun and sport.
This is an event which is to be continued every year from now on.
For more information on joining Axarquia Rugby Club, please ring Michael on 669 899 064 or 952 514 898.
Training for Axarquia Rugby Club is held at the Fernando Hierro Stadium in Velez-Malaga every Tuesday and Thursday from 19.00 for the Juniors and 20.30 for the seniors ( all age groups welcome).
- Axarquia Rugby beat the British Army! - 18 Oct, 2012 @ 22:32
- Rugby season ends in a fiesta - 29 May, 2012 @ 00:23
- All square at triangular rugby tournament - 21 May, 2012 @ 09:28
- International rugby fiesta! - 13 May, 2012 @ 22:17
- Rugby sponsor lottery! - 8 May, 2012 @ 09:32
- The rugby family - 16 Apr, 2012 @ 01:51
- Rugby referee loses the plot - 25 Mar, 2012 @ 22:12
- Sponsorship opportunities with Axarquia rugby! - 1 Mar, 2012 @ 16:48
- Spanish national rugby team defeat European champions - 17 Feb, 2012 @ 22:48
- Superb display of rugby - 29 Jan, 2012 @ 23:50