EXCLUSIVE by James Bryce
A WOMAN suffering from an aggressive form of cervical cancer has hit out at a private clinic for failing to spot a large and potentially life-threatening tumour.
Lorraine Ford, 43, is planning to sue the Costa del Sol clinic for negligence, alleging they told her on several occasions that she had nothing to worry about.
This was despite continuous pains in the abdomen, which were clearly not going away.
So concerned was the single mother that she eventually sought specialist help in another private clinic in Marbella, three months later, where she was immediately diagnosed with an eight cm wide tumour.
Hairdresser Ford, who is now undergoing intensive treatment, is angry that valuable time which could have been spent receiving care has now been lost.
“I just don’t want any woman to have to go through what I’ve been through”, she said. “I wouldn’t wish it on the Devil”.
Ford, who is facing an agonising wait to find out if it is curable, underwent various internal examinations and swab taking at the clinic, but alleges she was repeatedly told it was an ulcer.
She claims that at one point she was told her cervix had dropped, but that the gynaecologist in Marbella later informed her that the ‘cervix’ was in fact the tumour.
Ford has just completed a course of chemotherapy and radiotherapy and hopes the tumour is in remission.
“I really hope this is going to now be resolved,” she added. “My lawyers are taking the case forward.”
The clinic meanwhile completely refutes the allegations and threatened legal action when contacted by the Olive Press.
It insists that Ford initially refused the clinic’s suggestion to see a gynaecologist and say the matter has been referred to the Junta’s health authority.
“Our clinic is a nurse led service, we do not have a doctor and therefore cannot diagnose as a doctor can,” a spokesman for the clinic said.
“In cases where we feel there is a cause for concern or if the patient wishes, we advise them to see a doctor,” he added.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46