WITH summer just around the corner experts are advising wannabe dads to get out and enjoy the sunshine.
A recent study of 340 men has found that levels of vitamin D – produced by the body when skin is exposed to sunlight – correspond directly to the quality of sperm.
Men with higher levels of vitamin D had higher quality sperm; faster and better at swimming towards the egg.
“Vitamin D levels are associated with sperm mobility, suggesting a role for vitamin D in human sperm function,” said Dr Martin Blomberg who led the study.
Interestingly however, the researchers at the University of Copenhagen found that almost half of the men tested had an insufficient amount of vitamin D – linked to a lack of exposure to natural sunlight.
The findings, published in the journal Human Reproduction, back up previous research linking vitamin D to sperm production, and might explain why many couples conceive on holiday.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46