By James Bryce
PASSENGERS on board a popular Costa de la Luz ferry which sank, claim a crew member had fallen asleep.
The El Vaporcito ferry – which operates between El Puerto de Santa Maria and Cadiz – went down on Tuesday after hitting the Reina Victoria quay.
All 80 passengers and three crew members were safely evacuated, but 15 people have now placed a denuncia, claiming that they were forced to alert the crew to the imminent collision.
The boat, officially named El Adriano III, took just seven minutes to sink due to a hole near the bow.
A Facebook group with over 2,000 members has been set up to campaign for the re-floating of the boat, built in 1982, which is the third to operate the route since the service began in 1929.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02